14 Jun 2007

Open source in the news


It's good news that Click has finally talked about open-source and more specifically about Ubuntu since the last few weeks.

A few years ago, Stephen Cole (remember that Click Online presenter?) said that he did not consider Linux to be an OS since it was not enough user-friendly and many hardware wouldn't work. But nowadays, all this has changed. Most linux distros have a superb GUI (Gnome and KDE, amongst others) and many devices like printers, scanners, webcams, ADSL modems, and others, have drivers in-built in the Linux distro.

And on top of all, open-source is everywhere today!

I'm using Ubuntu Server at work and Kubuntu Desktop at home. I should say that the server is really easy to install and deploy. Apt-get is really a nice thing (thanks Debian!): installing and upgrading packages are simply a pleasing thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I fully agree with you.
Though Linux's progress wrt its GUI's user-friendliness and appeal has been harrowingly slow at the beginning, noone can refute the fact that both Gnome and KDE have matued so well that a newbie will find himself very much at ease with it.

I have Kubuntu Linux 7.04 on my PC and Mandriva Linux 2006 on my laptop (I'll shift to Kubuntu once Gutsy Gibbon's released in October).

As for its very rich library, I think Ubuntu's repository is the best any linux distro would offer. I just installed Firefox and a lot of IDEs in a breeze without having to do the usual tar, ./configure stuff...

Dilraj said...

That's the big point for using Ubuntu: it's repository system. It becomes a child's play to install and upgrade packages. You've got the point: no need to go through the usual checking of dependencies manually, nor the usual make, make install...

Anonymous said...

Hi,
well considering apt-get a nice thing, its WAY A BAD THING for the future !

Aside it's a quick it's way behind the rpm branch.

apt-get has no support for multi-libs. Now that RedHat/Fedora/Centos are supporting multilibs for more than a year, apt-get really needs to have new features.

I just hate to see in my ubuntu 64 bit /usr/lib64 just a symbolic link to /usr/lib.

It's a shame. But at the same time on can understand since the ubuntu community doesn't develop products but do only tweak actual applications.

After 9 years of debian support, I've recently moved to centos.
What I learnt ??

stable is important, but
stable != obsolete applications
stable with new applications.